Below is a list of the things required to connect to the Internet,
- a computer - the Internet allows a variety of different operating systems on computers to connect to the Internet, such as Windows, Linux, Unix and Os2. To view current web sites in their desired form you need a fairly recent computer.
- software such as a operating system like Microsoft Windows to be installed on the computer.
- a normal phone line or digital phone line (ISDN and ADSL) to be available to a computer.
- a modem, this transfer's the analog data from the phone line into digital data for the computer to understand.
- a networking / web browser application such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator to talk to the modem, you may also need other software packages for platforms such as Linux and Unix.
- an Internet Service Provider such as Aol and BT.